We had a combination gable fan with a whole house fan here in Florida for 25 years. And to add insult to injury, you are using (waisting) additional energy to operate the attic fan that is causing this mess! Reviews: We just installed this fan 9 months ago replacing a whole house fan that had lasted about 10 years. what is my best bet for an attic far? The whole house fan pulls air in from open windows and exhausts it through the attic and roof. I’m thinking roof mount? Thanks for any leads on improving the cooling situation for my parents (and often me). I’m doing some research into low cost/efficient ways to keep the house cool, since Northern California regularly has days in the 100s. I’d recommend trying a silicone spray lubricant because they dry and won’t attract dust or other debris. No, I do not recommend this product. Smart Energy Saver Attic Gable Fan AFG SMT ES-3.0, Smart Energy Saver Attic Roof Fan AFR SMT ES-2.0, Attic Gable Fan QuietCool AFG PRO-3.0 3013 CFM, Smart Professional Attic Gable Fan with Smart Control 2860 CFM, Gable Attic Fan 14" with 40 Watt Solar Panel - 1486 CFM, 14" Solar Attic Fan 40 W Panel - 1092 CFM, Gable Attic Fan 14" with 30 Watt Solar Panel 1320 CFM, Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device. This helps cool the home and attic by up to 30 degrees, and sometimes more, allowing them to stay much cooler the following day (the principle of … I’m not sure I would recommend this project to most DIY folks. I was talking to a green building guy earlier this summer who recommended one, but again my dad said that regular attic fans probably save more money in AC costs than the use in electricity any way. Hi. I’d get an electrician to look at it and give you a recommendation. Your point about dusty air being sucked in really changed my mind about a whole house fan! I have approx. I know this is going to sound completely insane to most people. $347.99. No spam. I NEVER suggested running an attic fan while running A/C. A gable attic fan is mounted to one of the gable walls in the attic. Probably the only real difference are the controls. You just need to keep sufficient distance from the fan to stored materials. http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=diy.diy_attic_ventilation. Some general comments on fans. I would like to cool the attic, since it does radiate a lot of heat into the upstairs bedrooms. This helps keep warm and cold air out of the living space when the unit is not being used. No, prove its cost-efficient 2. With a little engineering you can eliminate those high summer energy bills almost completely! 3.9 out of 5 stars 187. Thanks. For Example: Foundation Drain, Framing, Cracking, etc. Donna – Whole house fans are really made for “houses” and not a commercial application. The full house fan will tend to pressurize the attic space and if the attic is close to being “air tight” a higher pressure will be created on the discharge of the fan and it won’t be able to move the designed air volume, so the attic needs to be able to breathe feely. HI, I so appreciate the opportunity to ask questions from this site. Let’s clear up some information here about Whole House Fans… Everyone keeps mentioning that these fans are only helpful in moderate temperature locations. When answering, please provide as much information as possible: SKU numbers, full barcodes, manufacturer names and complete title of fan(s). You get what you pay for! The fan is used to remove hot air from the attic space in order to limit heat transfer to the living space below. An attic fan can quietly cool your attic resulting in cooler homes and improved efficiency of your central air conditioner. For the money; I expected not to have this problem. Whole house fans suck hot air from the house and push it to the attic, where it exhausts from the attic due to positive pressure. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. I question Home depot for caring a product like this. I am talking about a solar powered whole house fan that is between your ceiling and attic. I then wired the switch and outlet and plugged the fan it. Battic Door Whole House Attic Ceiling Fan Shutter Seal Cover, Fits up to 36" X 48" Attic Fan Shutters. Be smart folks, and save yourself a fortune! We recently removed it and will be installing gable fans to remove hot attic air only, without the problem of dust and pollen being drawn in. The fan is installed in the roof. A whole house fan is a type of fan, commonly venting into a building's attic, designed to circulate air in a home or building.It is sometimes confused with a powered attic ventilator, which exhausts hot air from the attic to the outside through an opening in the roof or gable at a low velocity. However, I suggest starting with your local electrical supply house (where your local electricians purchase materials) and ask them for references. This fan has only been used about 20 times and now the motor overheats and the fan quits. I will be installing a Whole House Fan and hope to limit my use of AC to very little. The basic design is simple: An attic-mounted fan pushes hot air out through attic vents and draws cooler, outside air in through open doors and windows. If you want to cook your atic with your AC system and then add the additional load fromoutside infiltration, go ahead. Once I got the door jamb/door frame unit in the attic I screwed the door jamb to the attic wall and removed the wood strips that kept the whole contraption square, shut and manageable. Motor barely turns. My intent was NOT to disagree with you on whole house fans. Todd says: June 1, 2010 at 7:00 pm Emily – Honestly it sounds like you’ve got a tough situation. They are typically located in a central hallway to help evenly remove warm air from the living space. My square area of my home is roughly 1300 sq. These cookies do not store any personal information. Whole House Fan Cover: One of my fall chores is to insulate the whole house fan in our house. The thing that had me worried, is our one estimate told me they’d have to cut a hole in the roof (this was over the phone) and then my dad got me all worried about them doing it wrong and our roof leaking. Cons: variable speed is not good. Or leave on all year long to prevent HVAC loss. The pressure created by the suction forces that warm air out of the venting of the roof and it helps draw cooler outside air in through open windows in the house. Unlike a ventilation fan, a whole-house fan — an attic-mounted fan that exhausts air from a home at night — is designed to cool a house (that is, to lower the indoor temperature). Robert – I wouldn’t consider myself an HVAC expert so the following are just my thoughts on the subject. The gable fan could be switched on and off using a thermostat mounted in the attic space to help save energy. We live in Riverside, California and it gets pretty hot here. Search for more articles here. I do see some people install a roof vent occasionally on a house with ridge vents…this is set up to help cool the attic even more if temperatures get too hot. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions, suggestions or you'd like to inquire about advertising on this site. 3.9 out of 5 stars 187. While a smaller fan can move 600-1200 CFM, a Whole House Fan will move from 1500 to over 10,000 CFM. What a waste of time, I am glad it was for my own home and not a clients. I dont go up there for anything, but one day the AC might need service. Bottom line. Good price? Here in the South, we usually use economizers to pull fresh cooler outdoor air in and distribute it during cool weather. While an attic fan helps to keep hot attic heat from getting into your living spaces below, a whole house fan draws in the fresh, cooler evening air through your open windows and forces out the stale, warm, contaminated air from your home. Lessen heat 5. Motor is not good. The problem is at 10 PM it is nice and cool out but the house might still be retaining a lot of heat from the day. Hello Todd I need help with this attic fan install, I live in Ohio my house is a Bungalow and my second floor is my master suite, the roof line is basically my ceiling except in the hall, I have to access panels to crawls spaces on the front part of the house and rear, where my gable vents are, u can’t get to them because there’s only about 12 inches from the ceiling to the roof peck in the hall way. Have you moved recently are about to move? Using a whole-house fan properly can lower heating and cooling costs, reduce indoor allergens, and freshen the atmosphere of your home. It reduces air-leakage through the whole house attic fan saving the homeowner heating and cooling loss and energy costs. Attic temperatures can easily exceed 150-160 degrees Fahrenheit during a summer day. I would install both. Our attic is extremely hot/swealtering even on 80 degree days, and while we have lots of attic ventilation (new house), it’s mostly little holes near the eves and a decent sized gable vent. Here I am making up a budget for home improvements, with an attic fan at the top of the list! This is nowhere to be found in the specs and certainly does not say so on the box at Home Depot. Spring is the perfect time to plan these projects…, New DEWALT Job Site Table Saws Models DWE7480, DWE7490X, and DWE7491RS DEWALT recently introduced a new line of portable table saws that include significant updates and features. It’s approx. He mentioned that the fan would “short circuit” the natural ventilation. If so this is an offer you can't afford to miss! This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. I'm full time builder for a large construction company in New Hampshire. This is why it is important to only by American. The other part of Marissa’s question was about installing these units herself. I live in Colorado where we get cool evenings. @ Jordan – Whole house fans won’t really work well when it’s really hot outside. Prevents ice damn in winter 7. the one area I did actually want to install it, I cant get into that area of the attic due to the roof line cutting off the area. Installed the fan, mounted and wired the motor. No, I do not recommend this product. When referencing this “blog entry” please mention “ROBERT” in your reply, so that I can quickly locate your comments. Measure the widest part of the whole-house fan, working inside the room where the fan is located and not inside the attic. I dont go up there for anything, but one day the AC might need service. You don’t want to be trading cool air for warm air! Or, would using a whole house fan be a better solution? Does anyone know if you can get them to run on a timer? I’ve been considering installing an attic fan in my house, and wondered what your thoughts were. Whole house fans can actually work fine without a powered gable vent. ft., or so. My feeling is that the gable vent is not likely working well BECAUSE you have other vents. Sally, A whole house fan may help. My hope is that I can share my experience in the home construction, home improvement and home renovation profession with other builders and home owners. $30.55 $ 30. Other options New from $30.48. The floor mounted exhaust fan is mounted directly on the attic floor above a set of self-closing louvers. I already have an 18 x 29 opening. They see all the brands and can give you great advice. If I were to relace it with a gable mounted fan do I have to cover up the hole in the roof? When I had my new roof installed in this home the roofer said that the fan wasn’t necessary since I was getting a full ridge vent installed. Philip, gable fans blow hot air out. Air that is heated expands. Be sure there is adequate power and fan volume. I had a very powerful and noisy attic fan that really pulled the air up on out, but I would like one of the new quiet whole house fans instead. It does suck in the outside air and pollen and dust. Some fans are indeed installed through the roof. The gable attic fan helps reduce the attic temperature to help prevent heat transfer down through the insulation and into the living space. I myself would not install it in your current ladder location. This is what makes attic fans and whole-house … Maybe it's time to refinish your deck or add some new decorative touches to your tired deck. The rise in pressure will force the air out of the ridge vent with no problem. Tamarack’s powerful Whole House Fans mount in the attic and rapidly cool your entire home. BTW my wife and I don’t keep the house very cool(to some). Lastly, what’s the difference between an attic fan and basically a regular fan? 00 (FAST response, too!) You have to be smart about how much pressure you are drawing, but even a small pressure will help add cooler air upstairs without adding a window unit. I’d love to get a whole house fan put in, since the outside air temperature is often cool enough to be comfortable, if I could just get it *moving* through the house. Went back to the store and got another, it lasted 15 minutes. old and was in the house when I bought it.. Attic fans typically include both thermostats and humidistats so the unit can be controlled for both heat and humidity. Or does anyone know about an adequate solar power whole house fan? If it were me I’d be half tempted to cut an access into that area, climb up there and see if there is a way to cut another access from that space into the adjoining accessible attic space. Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh. 1. Second, do these fans save a significant amount of energy versus central air? fan is mounted on the ceiling joists in the attic after a hole has been cut out of the ceiling drywall. WHOLE HOUSE FAN As the name implies, a whole house fan, is just that … a fan powerful enough to move air through the whole house. Some sites say they suck cool air from the house, others say so long as you have insulation it should keep energy costs down by keeping the house cooler. When we do run the A/C it is only set at 78 deg. Thanks again! Honestly, we were hoping it would last a little longer than 11 months… After several hours of work to install the big fan, it ran less than 5-min before totally dead. In July, 2011, the motor stopped working. You may wan to check this website and others to verify my claim. Read some other reviews and you’ll see a common problem. FREE Shipping. I’d love to get one of these to eliminate ANY electric usage if possible. All Rights Reserved. The Battic Door Whole House Attic Fan Ceiling Shutter Seal is easily installed over the fan louver from the house side in the fall and removed in the spring. However, we do have a little gable vent just like that in our attic, so maybe it just needs a fan installed…or maybe there is a broken one already up there! I want to install a whole house fan (had one before) there is no clean space in my attic for it. Since, what I have is so old, will it be hard to replace and not leave a leaky roof? As summer quickly approaches I wanted to share an archived post about whole house fans and gable attic fans. 4. Not what I was expecting so I was very aggravated and disappointed with this purchase and install. I strongly recommend & believe it to be highly effective for a quick-response cooling of the entire house!! Best Selling – Cool Attic Whole House Fan with Shutter. They push hot, stale air out through attic vents or gables while pulling cool, fresh air in through open windows. Certainly sounds like the louvers are sticking. NOTE from Todd: I’m not going to delete this comment, however, I do believe the commenter didn’t really read this article. I am thinking to install a Whole House Fan from Home Depot, but I found bad reviews about the Master Flow brand, so What bran do you know would do better please? Our old fan died after 15+ years and we replaced it with this model in August, 2010. Thanx. Whole-house fans have helped cool homes for a century. An aluminum grate is then installed on the ceiling side. This year, the moving cool air and noise of the AC has begun to bother my father, who insists on turning off the air conditioners (he has dementia). There is a huge difference between Gable Attic Fan and a Whole House Fan. Todd, thanks for the help. We are looking for a COMPLETE solar powered whole house fan. The Whole House Fan is sized to remove the air volume of the room to be cooled in three minutes or less. Today all areas of attics must be accessible for future maintenance and for fire access. I know there is space up there, it is just sealed off due to changing roof peaks. Cool Attic CX30BD2SPD Belt Drive 2-Speed Whole House Attic Fan with Shutter, 30 Inch. There is something to be said about clean AC air. I have one more question…what about solar attic fans? So, what is the answer?? It might help a bit….but nothing significant. Can You Run An Attic Fan with the AC on? What do you think? Emily – Honestly it sounds like you’ve got a tough situation. That is great!! Pros: 1. However, special care should be used when insulating…, Get 10% of with a Lowes Coupon NOTE: Home Construction & Improvement is not affiliated with Lowe's. My question or concern is that our slats in the hall ceiling do not open easily on their own. Hi My roof mounted attic fan stopped working. It seems like the existing attic fan is doing what you want to some extent. What do you think about that reasoning? 55. GAF should put this in its specs. The only issue in my mind is dust/wind near stored materials. FREE Shipping. If you know of anything I’d appreciate it. I recently installed another layer of fiberglass in the attic and it has helped a lot. We bought an older home and are planning to get a new roof installed this summer. A Tamarack Ventilation Whole House Fan will save you money by reducing your energy usage. However, attic fans are not really designed to pull that much air. 2. I will be drawing air from the furthest location (in the basement) from my stairs through a basement window drawing from a shady part of the house. Would this help keep the house cool? My basement is a full basement and keeps to a nice cool 68F even on days over 100F. $30.55 $ 30. Guess I have to replace the motor? Typically they are quieter, more efficient, and have automatically closing doors. When air expands in an enclosed space, pressure will ride. I’m not sure whether it’s worth messing with this company to go thought the hassle of warranty or find a better motor that makes it work…. I hope you’ll go back and re-read my information and correct your statements. Can caus… Cons: Noisy, won’t last No, I do not recommend this product. Secondly, it gets extremely hot in my 3rd floor. For a fraction of the cost of air conditioning, our fans cool using fresh, outside air. Second, do these fans save a significant amount of energy versus central air? Lowers heat of the attic air 6. I would get multiple quotes from reputable companies and ask lots of questions. The benefits of a whole-house fan. In some parts of the country they can be a very inexpensive alternative to central air. It’s already getting very warm in the crawl space attic. @ Bill – When was your house built? By installing a Tamarack Whole House Fan , you will keep your home comfortable and healthy! Both types of fans do different jobs. Yes, you can mostly run your attic fan with the AC unit if … Keep it clean. Bought this unit and it lasted 15 minutes. If not, then what do you suggest? During summer months, attic temperatures can get extremely hot, quickly reaching temperatures of one hundred and fifty degrees Fahrenheit. I have recessed lights, HVAC, and fire system in the way. Could you tell me how many gable attic fans should be used per how many sq ft of attic space we have? The Whole house fans could be actually a very good suplement to a HVAC system to help you save on your electricity bill as well! Most likely not, whole house fans have big motors and draw large volumes of air. "The Original Whole House Fan Website Online - Since 2001". Maybe you're considering having a new deck or fence built. Battic Door Whole House Attic Ceiling Fan Shutter Seal Cover, Fits up to 36" X 48" Attic Fan Shutters. The attic fan, on the other hand, blows warm air out through the roof or a gable vent and the fresh air is drawn in through the roof and vents. This was actually the perfect article and precisely what I thought. If you run your whole house attic fan for a few minutes to cool down the kitchen after baking, for example, the attic fan can pull much more air out of the house than can enter through an open window. Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection. Genius! Unfinished attic 5 windows run a box fan in one. @ C Muschlitz – Really hard to say without seeing how the fan is installed. (Not an attic vent fan that sits on the roof top). Basically, cut the dry wall out, lift it up in there, and install from inside the house? Read this comment with a grain of salt. Easy to install 3. 7 openings/vents in my attic, but most of them are only 12″x12″ vents/openings. can the attic door be the whole house fan, and double as the attic door? Stay on topic. Gable Attic Fans – are mounted to the gable wall inside the attic behind a decorative louver. With all that being saida few questions: Do gable attic fans blow cool air in, or hot air out? My parents still live in the ranch house in which I grew up in northern New Jersey (built ~1950; attic partially opened to create an office overlooking a double-story family room); all my life we have cooled in the summer by turning on the attic fan at night/early morning to bring in the cool air from outside, shutting it and all windows when the temperature rose to be hotter outside than inside. There are two basic styles of whole house exhaust fans. I run their design-build division that specializes in custom homes, commercial design-build projects and sub-divisions. With both fans, the volume of air required for effective cooling should be professionally determined; and when comparing quotes make sure that they are the same CFM fans since smaller fans = smaller price = smaller cooling and vise versa. I'm also the Editor-in-Chief and Founder of Tool Box Buzz. This post was written to help a reader decide which type of attic fan was best for her home. A gable attic fan can help keep temperatures down in your attic. Or should I replace it and could or should I add a gable mounted fan. Gable attic fans are typically much cheaper than whole house fans and also easier to install. Whole house fans can be very effective in cooling down a house in the morning and evening hours. The only thing he uses his AC for is to control humidity sometimes. Enter keywords like, 'insulation' or 'kitchens' etc to find your topic. This is just the sort of (well meaning but) misinformation that is rampant. I read that ridge vents do not work because hot air rises and when the air hits the vent, it will not move sideways and slightly downward. Previously I built a box in the attic out of foam boards, but using it is a pain because I have to empty out a closet to get to the attic door and then crawl through deep blown… Sorry for the confusion! We have to reach up and push them open and them close them by tapping them when we turn off the fan. Vents in your boxing coupled with ridge vents.
Anti Slip Stair Treads Outdoor, Keto Espresso Martini, Taeyeon - Fine Piano, Mta Certification Practice Test, Greystone Mansion Movies, Who Statistics On Nurses, Large Wooden Crates, Biblical Hebrew Syllables,