The travel is slow, rocky and frustrating at times, but jawdropping. Hayden Pass Trailhead (aka Highline Trailhead), on Mirror Lake Highway (UT 150). You get even better views from the beginning of this trail than you can on the Going-to-the-Sun Road. I've normally found a little bit of water running across the trail in the Leidy Peak area, but it's not reliable. With Joe Valesko, Tom Flanigan, Ashley Braden, Benny Braden. About 2.5 miles past Mirror Lake and just after passing from Duchesne County into Summit County, turn right (east) into the Highline Trail parking lot. Chipeta Dam trailhead (70 miles). Five friends embark on a ten-day journey on the incredible Uinta Highline Trail in northern Utah. ... Overlooking one of many alpine lakes situated around the Highline Trail. The dirt access road is fairly good. Amanda would be your contact. The Highline Trail. Particularly in the height of summer, the Uintas experience a consistent afternoon thunderstorm pattern. In general, hikers in the Uintas are served well by getting up early and hiking hard all morning, knowing that the afternoon will be slower as the storms roll through. It only crosses to the north for one drainage – the West Fork of the Blacks Fork between Red Knob and Dead Horse Pass. The dirt access road is fairly rough, although doable for most passenger cars with a little care. Trail is very muddy for the first 1/2 mile south of the Highline Trail early in the season and following summer storms. Those 100 miles of untouched wilderness make it very difficult to get from one end to the other. The trail crosses multiple forest districts and is home to hundreds of different plant and animal species. Primary Menu. 2 talking about this. A few friends and I recently finished a thru-hike of the Uinta Highline Trail in northern Utah's Uinta mountains, so I wanted to throw a quick trip-report up here to combat the dearth of detailed info about this hike or the region more generally.. The high line trail is the premier trail in the Uintas and many people had written about hiking part of it, ... My parents served as my shuttle drivers and we drove from the Wasatch front to Evanston, a little over an hour. As soon as Dead Horse Pass melts out. Anderson Pass (12,800'): The highest point on the UHT. While you walked out on the Highline on Day 1, it is a completely different walk going the other way. Among the adventures at the top of my bucket list has been the Uinta Highline Trail. In basic terms, the popular Highline Trail parallels the Uinta Crest, staying almost entirely on the south side. We had arranged a shuttle with Wilkins Bus Lines from here to the official eastern end of the Highline Trail at the trailhead off Highway 191. Admittedly, I let Shay take over most of the planning as I had a fairly full schedule in the days prior to the hike. No word has been heard from him or of him. I often get questions from prospective UHT hikers about the trail. His lime green, Honda Element fought through the gusts of wind as I sat there giddy with excitement. Call it mid-July through mid-September. This is the most significant logistical challenge of the Highline. You can also print DIY maps using Caltopo. North Pole Pass (12,200'): This one may hit you like a ton of bricks. The west side looks intimidatingly steep, but there's a fairly good trail down. The trail spans over 100 miles and includes over 16,000 feet of elevation gain. Allow an additional day for this trip. The trail runs 104 miles east to west, which I’d love to crank out in 5–6 days (17–21 miles per day, which is what I averaged on the JMT). About the Uinta Highline Trail. We did about 70 miles with the focus on hiking. Each day’s distance is roughly 12-14 miles. This trailhead makes for the longest hike and easiest logistics, but the first 15-20 miles are mostly a forest walk, and don't really fit the high alpine theme of the rest of the route. Five friends. The shuttle driver will meet us at our car at Hayden Pass drive take us the remaining 4½ hours to the Highline Trail junction at Chepeta Lake. Parking your car at the west end and getting shuttled to the east end, before your hike begins, allows you to save a little gas, and walk back to your car when you're done. The Uinta Highline Trail, in northeastern Utah, crosses over seven mountain passes. Uinta Highline Trail A couple weeks ago, Ben Lewis, Jason Berry, Peter Lindgren and I set off on what proved to be a most excellent adventure. The Uinta Highline Trail crosses most of the length of the Uinta Mountains, the only major east-west mountain range in the United States. Just curious if anyone in SLC area would be interested in hiking West - East around the same time and swapping cars for the shuttle? Start hiking at 6am, and you'll often complete your daily mileage by early afternoon. West of Leidy, you should find tons of water and shouldn't ever have to carry more than a liter or two. Uinta Highline Trail – As Good as It Gets in 100 Miles A brief overview of the UHT The Uinta Highline Trail is a high elevation hiking path through the Uinta range in Northern Utah These mountains are the only range to run east to west in the country, making for a unique geologic experience. Evidently he was also hiking the highline trail a few days ahead of me and did not make it back as scheduled. They blinked. The Highline is the main east-west trail traversing the High Uintas. In addition to the above, savvy hikers will notice that the eastern end of the Uintas (east of Anderson Pass) are pretty gentle. The Uinta Highline Trail is a trail in the Uinta Mountains of Utah that traverses the range 104 miles (167 km) from east to west. This trailhead makes for the shortest hike. Lots of off-trail alternates are possible through here, including along ridgetops. This is one of the few itineraries where the TCT isn’t hiked in sequential order. Porcupine Pass (12,200'): Gradual approach from the east, dropping off sharply on the west side. They're not a big problem up high. It is a bit rocky in places, especially where horses have done damage to the trail. In a high snow year, it may not be doable, without an ice axe at least, until August. I've also seen various people offer their services on the internet over the years, but they come and go quickly. I later found out that he was a man from Australia who was also making a solo trek across the Highline trail. You get even better views from the beginning of this trail than you can on the Going-to-the-Sun Road. We have developed a love for this region that can't be described in words. Those who have friends/family in the area are probably best off bribing somebody with gas money and a nice dinner. We drove the rental car to the Hayden Pass Trailhead. It doesn't really matter all that much. I'm from out of state. Because each traveler has unique challenges and expectations, we have designed this page to be a comprehensive resource for everything associated with the Highline Trail. The Unita Highline Trail itself. There is a new business doing shuttles. Unless you're interested in getting charbroiled by a stray bolt of lightning, you'll probably want to be below treeline by noon each day. ... For those hikers who are coming from out-of-state or who don't have somebody to shuttle them, it's possible to self-shuttle using a mixture of hitchhiking, Utah Transit Authority buses, and free Summit County buses. Leidy Peak/Hacking Lake trailhead (80 miles). The Mirror Lake Trail is a short spur of the Highline, providing access to it … We hiked the entire trail including the section east of Leidy Peak, unlike most people. Between the Highline Trailhead at Hayden Pass to East Park Reservoir on the Ashley National Forest, the trail stretches nearly 100 miles. Permits are available at the Highline Trailhead itself or at a permit station along the highway. As with previous ... And yes, at this time you need to hitch/bus it. Most of the trail is above … Hi All, I am planning to do the 100 mile option of the Uinta Highline Trail in late August, potentially starting August 24th. Amanda is the contact. The previous night entailed 8 hours of driving to shuttle my car to the end of Forest Road 43 in the middle of nowhere. Remember, this trail is pretty remote and doesn't see a lot of people in most areas. This may change in coming years though. The business name is Mountain Trails. Together they discover adventure and explore the history of the area. Basically none. From maps, to gear, to insider knowledge, we hope to share everything you will need to make your visit to the Highline Trail safe and enjoyable. ... Getting back from the other end of the trail can be done with a shuttle from Wilkins Bus lines located in Vernal so call and talk to them if you can’t park a car at the terminus. He is now 2 days overdue. ... -up time to accommodate your schedule best -Rent vehicle from SLC airport or turo.com -Park at either trailhead and our shuttle will transport your group to the opposite trailhead (3.5 hours drive) Highline Trail es un sendero de punto a punto de 101.6 millas con tráfico pesado localizado cerca de Kamas, Utah. The Unita Highline Trail itself. I am planning on hiking the Uinta Highline Trail on July 13, 2019 - Sunday, July 21th, 2019 with 3 other friends! 5 friends. If you're starting at US 191, there's a long (20-mile) before you get to Leidy Peak. Uinta Highline Trail shuttle/food drop Providing timely, courteous pick up and drop off at Hayden Pass (western terminus for E-W hike), McKee Draw (eastern terminus for W-E hike), or Leidy Peak. Official Eastern Terminus of the Uinta Highline Trail Few Highline Trail Hikers hike the section west of Chepeta Lake, but we decided to hike the entire trail as shuttle logistics were cheaper and easier starting at the eastern trailhead. ... From maps, to gear, to insider knowledge, we hope to share everything you will need to make your visit to the Highline Trail … You may be able to sneak around the snow by staying north of the actual pass on the main Uintas crest, as shown on the mapped alternate. The Uinta Highline Trail is one of the most stunning trails in all the world. Dead Horse Pass (11,600'): The crux of the official route. Menu. Perhaps the most famous trail in Glacier NP is the Highline Trail and rightly so. Uinta Highline Trail 2017 This was the third year my brother, Andrew, and I decided to go for an approximately week-long hike, the week before Labor Day Weekend. Had a great experience with her transport. July 31st - August 4th, 2012 the clan did a long walk across the Uinta Range. Tungsten Pass (11,400'): A total joke - hardly worth being called a pass at all. Be prepared for a few slow/frustrating miles. The Highline was a great ~80 mile hike that requires some logistical planning but is possible to do from the Salt Lake City area without a car. Skip to content. 14 miles (35.5 km) in, the trail climbs above 10,000 feet (3,048 m) and stays above that elevation for the next 82 miles (132 km) with only a few brief drops barely below.Four mountain passes exceed 12,000 feet (3,657 m). After researching many options we decided that Uinta Highline Trail would be a great option. America's greatest left to right mountain range.. Home of Utah's highest peaks and most stunning views The Uinta Highline Trail is a beautiful and worthwhile adventure, however it's much more rugged and remote than trails like the John Muir Trail. While the UHT is a great hike overall, I think there is a little room for improvement. It's mostly just a long uphill, and those in good high altitude shape may be able to power up. Below are a few recommendations: It's gnarly, no two ways about it. Finding the trailhead: Take Highway 150 (Mirror Lake Highway) east from Kamas into the Uinta Mountains. If I fly into Vernal, can I get a cab or Uber to US 191 trailhead? Most people seem to attack this trail from Vernal, ... Getting back from the other end of the trail can be done with a shuttle from Wilkins Bus lines located in Vernal so call and talk to them if you can’t park a car at the terminus. Uinta Highline Trail 2017 This was the third year my brother, Andrew, and I decided to go for an approximately week-long hike, the week before Labor Day Weekend. Follow the Highline Trail as it weaves over passes and aside lakes, often following dispersed cairns across meadows, tundra, and talus slopes. The Uinta Range, in northwestern Utah, is a sub-range of the Rocky Mountains. There is a shuttle service that operates along the Going-to-the-Sun-Road, which you must catch. 1 trek across Utah's Uinta Highline Trail & a new exciting documentary sharing it all One trek across Utah's Uinta Highline Trail. Views of every kind—distant horizons, nearby wildlife, isolated lake basins—are better on ridgeline hikes. 10 days. My heart pounded as the unknown shape morphed into three female elk that bolted––one l… The stretches between passing other hikers ranged between 10 hours to entire days. Difficult. The north side of Dead Horse generally holds snow well into July. Another side trip is the route along the Highline Trail, out of the east side of the head basin, over to the East Fork Blacks Fork. I get very anxious about tech charging in the wilderness and want to … It's more common to hike westbound, for a couple of reasons: The west end of the Highline is a more spectacular than the east end. Perhaps the most famous trail in Glacier NP is the Highline Trail and rightly so. The "true" trailhead on Highway 191 (105 miles). My first UHT hike was in an average snow year, and the north side of Dead Horse was still fairly snowbound as of the 4th of July. The highest continuous established trail in the Uintas is the Highline Trail (#025) that runs the length of the mountain range. Viewers will experience the adventures and challenges along the way. It’s a great trail and shuttle logistics are manageable. For each of us, our first experience on the trail was unbelievable! Fish will bite at just about everything up there. Uinta Highline trail from highway 191 by IsRunnable » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:35 pm 7 Replies 10661 Views Last post by lcarreau Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:09 pm Zion - West Rim Trail in April by whiteroom17 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:13 pm 5 Replies 4869 Views Last post by erial Planning on spending a week mid-August backpacking the Uinta Highline Trail and hoping to connect with anyone who might be out that way hiking or willing to shuttle (for a reasonable fee). There are over 545 miles of hiking trails in the Uinta National Forest. Call it 6-10 days for your average hiker. The UHT parallels the crest of the Uintas through mostly alpine terrain. Uinta Highlline Trail - Hikers/Shuttle Wanted! Simply follow this. Red Knob Pass (12,000'): A little confusing. The Uinta Highline Trail is a beautiful and worthwhile adventure, however it's much more rugged and remote than trails like the John Muir Trail. The shuttle is not ideal, but it is at least a pretty drive for an amazing hike. Were taking the east to west 100-mile route. In places, the trail disappears under your feet and merely becomes a route occasionally marked with cairns and the infrequent sign or post. Gabbro Pass (11,700'): nothing particularly complicated, although snow cornices can hang around for an uncomfortably long time on the eastern side. Don't forget to tag Kings Peak! Maps for this trail are remarkably straightforward. There is a trail junction atop the pass - the East Fork Blacks Fork trail runs parallel to the ridge and joins the Highline trail from the East. Resupply option at Chepeta Lake. I felt the desire to explore the Uintas in more detail after seeing this “highlight” reel of the wild places. Uinta Highline Trail 2012. This trailhead is located at what I'd consider to be the "true" eastern end of the classic High Uintas. Uinta PeakBaggers has 772 members. It's home to all 14 of Utah's thirteeners (peaks in excess of 13,000'). It's one of only ranges in the United States that runs east-west, rather than north-south. A few friends and I recently finished a thru-hike of the Uinta Highline Trail in northern Utah's Uinta mountains, so I wanted to throw a quick trip-report up here to combat the dearth of detailed info about this hike or the region more generally.. Of note, there is an unmapped but reliable spring on the E side of Anderson Pass at about 12,400. Uinta Highlline Trail - Hikers/Shuttle Wanted! As we all know, the shuttling situation is tough for this trail and I am looking for options. After Deadman Lake, there's a 400' climb back up before you crest an unnamed pass and drop to Whiterocks Lake. Highline Trail is a 101.6 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Kamas, Utah that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. If I were planning the trip in advance, I probably wouldn't plan to start until about the 3rd week of July. But, as any aspiring UHT hiker will soon find out, transportation is a problem. Perhaps in a few years, grizzlies will return to the Uintas. Our team has spent a significant amount of their lives in the High Uinta Wilderness of northeastern Utah. In general though, it's fairly straightforward walking - generally fairly flat, except for the passes. Yippee! At the trailhead, I hoisted my 38-pound pack and proceeded up trail number 025. Los perros también pueden usar este sendero. The Uinta Highline Trail - A Guide Updated for the 2021 hiking season. Be careful! Trail contacts: Ashley National Forest; Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest. Our cast and crew were composed of … The terrain, crossing long stretches of forest, treeless tundra, leads the trail through expansive alpine landscapes, separated by rocky passes carved by retreating glaciers. Posted on September 25, 2018 Leave a comment on Uinta Highline Trail Day 1 Intricate, jazzy soul music played as my friend, Kam, drove me through the Utah desert into the low Uintas. Mountain Trails is the business name. A decent trail most of the way. The Highline Trail in the Uinta Mountains is one of the best mountain trails in the state. 5 friends. ‘Missing Hiker on Highline Trail, Uintas, Utah My good friend, 63 year old Eric Robinson from Australia, set off to thru hike the Highline Trail 7.28.11. This is the longest car shuttle of the three options. This mountain range contains all of the Utah peaks higher than 13,000 feet and it is the most remote mountain range in the state. Along the way, you learn more about these hikers, and how they succeeded in life even when the odds were stacked against them. You want to head north, then southwest, into West Fork Blacks Fork drainage. A look at a documentary on the "Uinta Highline Trail" by Outmersive Films. We have developed a love for this region that can't be described in words. I strolled along until I came to a hulking brown form blocking the path, where I stared at three pairs of eyes twenty feet ahead. I can't seem to find their website but you can reach them at thegratefulbliss@gmail.com. Dogs are also able to use this trail. After Leidy Peak, it crosses just one dirt road - at Chepeta Dam - and that road has zero traffic. Rocky Sea Pass (11,300): The last pass on the trail. Anywhere from 70-105 miles, depending on your choice of eastern trailhead (more on that below). The trail largely follows the ridgeline and offers great views of the valleys. If you did Dead Horse, Rocky Sea won't be a problem. Our cast and crew … Heavily used between July 24 and Labor Day. It is one of the most memorable hikes I've ever done. El sendero ofrece una serie de opciones de actividades y es mejor utilizado de junio hasta octubre. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. I don't know anybody who's seen one above 10k in the Uintas - and the UHT is above 10k for its entire length. The terrain, crossing long stretches of forest, treeless tundra, leads the trail through expansive alpine landscapes, separated by rocky passes carved by retreating glaciers. If you park a vehicle on the west end, along Mirror Lake Highway, a self-service permit is required. Over the past few years, the Uinta Highline Trail has increased greatly in popularity. Along those same lines, the trail can be quite intimidating, and at times can put travelers in unpredictable and deadly situations. Posted on September 25, 2018 Leave a comment on Uinta Highline Trail Day 1 Intricate, jazzy soul music played as my friend, Kam, drove me through the Utah desert into the low Uintas. For detailed information, step-by-step directions, maps, and more, please visit the. Misc. The Uinta Highline Trail (UHT) is a 100+ mile trek through one of North America’s rare east-west running high mountain ranges. For those hikers who are coming from out-of-state or who don't have somebody to shuttle them, it's possible to self-shuttle using a mixture of hitchhiking, Utah Transit Authority buses, and free Summit County buses. The Uinta Highline Trail The Uintas in Northeastern Utah are a pretty special place. Views of every kind—distant horizons, nearby wildlife, isolated lake basins—are better on ridgeline hikes. by RockLobster » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:29 pm . Sofia Jeremias, Deseret News. Because of COVID, they were not running any shuttles. 1 trek across Utah's Uinta Highline Trail & a new exciting documentary sharing it all I asked and they will provide USB chargers in the bus. For most of human history, we lived in wild places. The Highline is one of Glacier’s legendary hikes along the Continental Divide. Uinta Highline Trail RECOMMENDED ROUTE. Near Leidy Peak (12,028-feet), the boys consulted the map as I passed by and walked into a dense conifer forest. The Uinta mountain range in Utah is one of the few ranges in North America that runs east to west. 10 days. Getting to the Uinta Highline Trail. This site is dedicated to helping travelers prepare for and execute a successful trip on the Highline Trail. Sometimes I’d spot a tent far off on the horizon or down in … The trail can be a little faint at times, especially through meadows and open areas. Due to the logistics involved with a long drive to eastern end, it can be difficult to arrange a shuttle, even from loved ones. Uinta Highline Trail travel logistics options. Thanks to the efficient free buses along the Going-to-the-Sun Road, you can take a bus back to your car from the trail – though make sure you know when the last bus is! 3-day Airport Shuttle Hike. Thanks, ~01 We hiked the Highline on Tuesday, 9/1. There are no practical opportunities to resupply along the UHT. Had a great shuttle experience! If you use a shuttle service and have a good experience with it, please shout it out in the comments. The Uinta Highline Trail is a world-class adventure and is becoming more popular every year. It's excellent. This spectacular route passes between Red Knob and 13,219-foot Mount Lovenia. See why on the 78-mile Highline Trail, which arrows right along the spine of the Uintas, seldom dipping below timberline as it traverses a range with more than 100 summits topping 12,000 feet. Are there any current shuttle options through companies? This page is intended to be a quick planning resource to address those questions. One of the more notable trails is the Highline hiking trail which follows the range from Mirror Lake for 64 miles to an area Northeast of Vernal, Utah. Highline follows 5 hikers as they traverse a lesser known mountain range in Utah call the Uinta. The passes, conveniently, are about a dozen miles apart. A beautiful and unique view can be found around each corner, and for us, that is something we want to share with you. They quotes me a shuttle from the western terminus to the easter for $300. ... One can enjoy the narrows by simply walking up the river from the final stop of the Zion shuttle bus. The Uinta Highline Trail is the definition of solitude. It is steep and loose and, if the trail is still snowcovered, a bit treacherous. I came across a flyer posted on a tree at the top of Lambert Meadow for a Erik Robertson. America the Beautiful passes are accepted. :), As of July 1st, 2020 the Wilkins Shuttles site says: "Due to circumstances beyond our control and health issues, we have no choice but to close our doors completely". It's a nice feeling to have something. I suppose you could arrange for a friend to meet you on that dirt road with some food, but to be honest, most hikers just carry all their food with them. Uinta Highline Trail – As Good as It Gets in 100 Miles A brief overview of the UHT The Uinta Highline Trail is a high elevation hiking path through the Uinta range in Northern Utah These mountains are the only range to run east to west in the country, making for a unique geologic experience. I am a complete fishing novice and even I can catch a few. I always try and get a hitch/shuttle/ride on the front end whenever possible, so I can get that logistical worry out of the way, and so I don't smell as disgusting when someone else is giving me a ride in their car. Ridgetop alternates are not advised during July and August due to limited bailout opportunities and the likelihood of afternoon lightning storms. In most years, that's around mid-July. It flows right across the trail. You’re heading east, to Logan Pass. Vernal UT is a small town so the shuttle services come and go from season to season. A trail goes from Daynes Lake in the Four Lakes Basin area southwest for 2 miles through timber to connect with the Grandaddy Basin Trail network near Rainbow Lake. Amblings and Ramblings in the American West, Excellent resource! For most of human history, we lived in wild places. Planning on spending a week mid-August backpacking the Uinta Highline Trail and hoping to connect with anyone who might be out that way hiking or willing to shuttle (for a reasonable fee). Getting to the Uinta Highline Trail. That way you don't have to haul water up from Painter Basin. I blinked. Highline Trail in the Uinta Mountains of Utah That often means you'll hide in your tent for a couple hours while it storms like the dickens outside. Begin at the Leidy Peak Trailhead (or for a shorter route begin at Chepeta Lake Trailhead). The western approach is fairly steep and rocky, but nothing to be concerned about. The Uinta High Route. Glad you asked! ... Day 0 (8/10) – drive up from Salt Lake City, park car at northern terminus (Glacier Trail trailhead), shuttle back to Bruce Bridge around dinner time, camp just a bit out from Bruce Bridge. Ten days. After researching many options we decided that Uinta Highline Trail would be a great option. Comment: A week ago I was doing a log out contract for the forest service on high Uinta Highline Trail north west of Vernal, Utah Gabbro Pass west of Leidy Peak still is snowed in I suggest that hikers drop down and take Lakeshore Basin and pick up trail 0132 There is also a sign at Chepeta Lake Trail head that states Douglas pass is being worked on. In places, the trail disappears under your feet and merely becomes a route occasionally marked with cairns and the infrequent sign or post. Don't forget your a Utah. His lime green, Honda Element fought through the gusts of wind as I sat there giddy with excitement. About the Uinta Highline Trail. Those from out of state will have a bit harder time. Just as we finished packing up, Clifton, our friendly shuttle driver arrived. Over time, we've gained knowledge about this area and we want to share it with anyone interested in hiking this trail so that they can have a safe and memorable trip. From the Winds, it's just a hop, skip, and a jump to the Uintas. Well-traveled 19th-century explorer Ferdinand Hayden called Utah's vast Uinta Mountains—with their gorgeous pine forests, high-alpine meadows, and graceful symmetry—his favorite range. We hiked the Highline on Tuesday, 9/1. Hikers travel all or part of 60 miles through classic alpine and subalpine Utah. It is one of the most memorable hikes I've ever done. Because of COVID, they were not running any shuttles. As with previous documentaries, I found the cinematography exquisite. The Uinta Highline Trail is the definition of solitude. The Highline was a great ~80 mile hike that requires some logistical planning but is possible to do from the Salt Lake City area without a car.
Bark River Bird And Trout, Convert Sennheiser Headphones To Bluetooth, Kb Home Surround Sound, Panasonic Lumix Zs60 Costco, Flats: Technical Drawing For Fashion Pdf, Duplex For Rent By Owner Austin, Tx, Panasonic Lumix Zs60 Costco, Where Can I Buy Polly-o Ricotta Cheese, Bacardi Limon And Lemonade Can Calories, Dslr Vs Slr, What Is Glasgow Famous For, Mezcal Ancho Reyes Cocktail,